Login
Berkeley County Courthouse

BERKELEY COUNTY COURTHOUSE

Edward Beeson’s residence, called the “Red House,” was used by settlers to hold court meetings. This temporary courthouse, made of lumber, logs and mud stood until 1975 when it was destroyed by fire.
The first permanent courthouse was built about 1773 during the reign of George III and stood on the identical site as the present courthouse. Around 1850, the county officials decided to erect a new courthouse. The brick and limestone building remains as the present courthouse. Originally constructed as a French Renaissance building, it was remodeled to a Georgian type with an impressive dome added in 1908. Further remodeling to the interior was completed in 1965.

Courthouse photos courtesy of Daniel Branham

Courthouse history and information sources:

"West Virginia Courthouses, A Pictorial History," by Mary Thrash

"Historic West Virginia, The National Register of Historic Places," provided by the West Virginia Division of Culture and History, State Historic Preservation Office

WVCFIA Logo